Unions guarantee rewards for hard work and initiative.
- Workers with unions earn an average 25 percent more than do workers without a union.
- Seventy-three percent of union members in the private industry get health benefits on the job, compared with about half of workers without unions.
- Seventy percent of union members in medium and large private companies are covered by pensions that guarantee a benefit, compared with only 16 percent of workers without a union.
Unions help remedy discrimination in the workplace.
- Union contracts raise earnings by 30 percent for working women and African Americans and 45 percent for Latinos.
- Union contracts help make sure that everyone is treated fairly and equally on the job.
Unions raise living standards for the whole community.
- For decades, union membership paved the way to a strong and growing middle class. As union membership declined, the gap between the wealthy and everyone else grew.
- Better wages and benefits through unions mean that more families can make it on their own in the community – and the wage and benefit floor is lifted for everyone.
- Studies show that states where many of the workers have a union are also states with lower poverty rates, better schools and less crime.
UNION vs. NON-UNION
|Contract||A legal document that defines hours of work, wages and other conditions of employment; establishes procedures for the resolution of disputes||No contract. Rules and policies may be changed at any time with no employee input.|
|Wages||Union wages are negotiated with the Company and are guaranteed and spelled out in your contract.||The Company sets wages, pay scales and raises often resulting in arbitrary and unfair compensation.|
|Seniority||Used to determine, among other things, placement on wage schedule, layoff procedure, vacation and holiday scheduling, overtime assignments, job bidding, shift scheduling.||At the Company’s discretion whether or not to use seniority. No guarantees.|
|Discipline||For just cause only, following progressive discipline.||“At will” employment – anyone can be fired at any time for any reason.|
|Grievances||A contract provides a structured procedure for handling disputes in the workplace (things that are in violation of that contract).||The Company says it has an “open door” policy to discuss issues, but the company decides whether or not to deal with grievances and has the last say.|
|Health and Welfare/Pensions||Benefits are negotiated by the union.||Not required under law. At the Company’s option.|
|Vacations||Paid vacation negotiated according to length of service.||Vacations given, paid or unpaid, at the company’s discretion.|
|Leaves of Absence||Negotiated leaves, which go beyond what the laws provide, with return to work guarantees.||The Company must grant only those leaves mandated by law and only under strict guidelines.|
|Layoffs||Protected by seniority.||No protection.|
|Dues||Small portion of entire wages and benefits paid to union for having representation.||No dues = no rights!|
IT PAYS TO BELONG!!!